Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Will you still need me, will you still feed me when I'm 24?

I got called old yesterday.

Not in so many words, but I got called old. I was sitting in my Spanish class, but class hadn't started. A couple of people started talking about how old people where. Who is a freshman? Who is eighteen? Etc. So I'm listening to some people talk. I hear these people behind me saying my name. They are fairly surly individuals to begin with. So, naturally I listen. This girl is telling this other guy how old I am. He says, "Who?" She says, "Lauren, in the front." His response, "Really." The look on his face was, I can't even describe. Horrible. It was like he immediately built a wall. We were separated. He couldn't see me anymore. He didn't care. It was as if I had asked him to help me across the street so I don't break a hip and this new difficult obligation was really weighing him down.

The look on his face was like I had been deceiving him. Here I was, this old hag among them this whole time and he couldn't even spot me. I saw his ideas of life crumble before him.

This whole age thing is really getting to me. I find these people incredibly uninteresting. I haven't heard one conversation that I would even consider worthy of easy-dropping. If these eighteen year old aren't talking about their cell phone or equivalent, they are trying too hard to be interesting. Which is worse.

Where have all the normal people gone? I mean I just want to run into someone who isn't an incredible douche bag. Is that possible anymore?

Your Sincerely,
Waisting Away

1 comment:

Drew said...

Most college kids are idiots anyway - only looking for sex, alcohol and the attention their parents never gave them.

When I was in high school, I thought college would be filled with wonderfully intellectual people who sit in coffee houses and discuss interesting topics. Now I know that most of them just want to get drunk enough to make some mistakes.

It was a pretty big disappointment on my end.