Friday, March 23, 2007

Radio Stations

Is anybody else upset about the where radio stations are going? Maybe this is a Texas thing but I doubt it.

A couple years ago Bob FM bought out the only Austin oldies station. Since I really like the oldies and pretty much only listened to that station I was pretty pissed off about it. Also, the fact that it sounds like every other fucking radio station really pissed me off. Why couldn't they buy one of those bullshit stations? But that is neither here nor there. My real problem with the radio station is the stupid radio plugs between songs. They talk about Bob. They say things about what Austin used to be like and he has been in Austin for so many years, blah, blah, blah. Here is good one, "Bob remember's when strolling down South Congress wasn't a very good idea." (That is there typo not mine.) There are more, every one more irrigating than the next. When I first heard them I thought it was bullshit. Then me and Kyle were in San Antonio? or maybe Houston or even Corpus. I don't remember. Where ever we were we happened upon a Bob station. Guess what? It was the same stupid bullshit about Bob being a native to where we were. It really pissed me off? Does anyone really buy that there is a Bob? What Emmis Communications has one guy named Bob and he somehow runs all the different Bob radio stations and is somehow native to every city? Or maybe there is a Bob army? I have never wished colon cancer on anybody before, but if I did it would be the jackass that thought that Bob FM was a good idea.

So, Kyle, calls me yesterday to tell me they took away one of his radio stations that he listens to. It is from College Station so it can be a little iffy on the reception. Anyways to new radio station is called Jack. Can you believe it? It is just like Bob only Jack. CBS radio owns it. I guess they know a mediocre thing when they see it. Nobody ever jumps on the really awesome bandwagon. But it never fails, the bandwagons that I wish were at the bottom of a river are piling on the travelers. Apparently, Jack went to A&M.

1 comment:

Mark Brown said...

oh you poor things.

Jack, as in "You don't know Jack", we don't want to spend the $$$ on anyone in your area to watch your station .

They took off the #1 oldies stationin the USA (WCBS-FM) in NY, and put JACK on it..

To echo the words of a great departed poet and songwriter (harry chapin)
" Harry, it SUCKS!"

and bob is (or guess Jack actually) is a copy of BOB.
1 station across the nation.
who cares if you need a weather report, or a hurricane warning...
SIGH.
and this was what happened because the FCC allowed companies like clearchannel to own 1500 radio stations, instead of 25 max in the old days (20 yrs ago)

sigh.