Thursday, March 22, 2007

Here are the places I want to go:

The Andes Mountains
Were glaciers meet rain forest.
WILD.
Flamingos fly to this big salty lake in the Atacama Desert. They get frozen in the water every night and thaw every morning. Watch them dance.
Penguins live in the rain forest and swim in the icy water.
The largest hummingbird in the world. It dies every night with the cold and is revived with the sun every morning.
Volcanoes.
Huge deserts, giant salt flats.
Strange animals.
Ancient, unexplainable, art work in the desert.

Lake Tanganyika
Now, I don't really want to go to Africa. But I would love to see this lake.
The lake was created by a rift. The lake is so old that the life in the lake developed similar to marine life, but it has never had contact with the ocean. There are jellyfish, crabs, shrimp and puffer fish in the LAKE!
It is the second largest lake in the world. See it from space.
There are 250 species of cichlid fish and 150 non cichlid fish species. They say it is as full as a well stocked aquarium. All the cichlids are adapted in different ways and look incredibly different.

And of course Croatia.

The closest place I want to go to Alaska is the Galapagos. They aren't anywhere near each other. But they are closer than all the other places I want to go.

While we are on the subject of all things nature-y. I would like to bring every one's attention to the new 11 part mini series Planet Earth on Discovery Channel. It starts this Sunday. The trailer is just spectacular!

3 comments:

The Q said...

I want to see the series too. Oh, it looks so beautiful!I hope it is on DVD quickly, I have to work Sunday nights.

Mark Brown said...

GM dear.

you said:
Lake Tanganyika
...snip...

There are 250 species of cichlid fish ...snip..
having (years ago) been a professional cichlid breeder

I would LOVE to join you on that trip

Love...
markb

Lauren said...

Corley- I have looked when it comes on there are about 6 different times you could watch it. No worries. Plus you can always come over and watch it on my DVR.

Mark- Wow! That is so cool! How I learned about the cichlids was a show on National Geographic. It is called Jewel of the rift. It was so awesome.