Monday, October 16, 2006

I was sitting here thinking about how good of an employee I am. And about how easily I can piss a middle aged woman off. I don't think I have ever pissed a man off unintentionally. I don't really think it is possible. Something about me makes middle aged men love me. They love me. That same something makes a middle age woman despise me. All it takes is a look.

I am really good employee. I have six years customer service experience. I have three years sales experience. I think I am more than qualified to work in a craft store where the majority of the employees are high school students. For example, I just received my year review from my office job. I work with business professionals, vice presidents, ceo's, people who make more money in a week than she makes in a month easy. I think the standard here is a tad higher. Not only did I get an incredibly kind review from my manager, he told me that I was the least maintenance of any of his employees. He told me that he never had to say anything to me about the quality of my work, that my attendance was great, and I was at work everyday on time. Which is true.

I once worked with the woman at Atomic who was...how do I put this gently...well, I can't put it gently. When I first met her I thought she was as old or older than my mom. Turned out she was like 35. That puts her a good 10 years younger. She also had a severe liver problem at that young age, cirrhosis . Kyle took one look at her and said, "Wheeww! Looks like she was ridden hard and hung up wet!" That pretty much sums it up. Anyways, she didn't like me very much. She told someone that I was full of myself, or something to that effect. In reality I just didn't like her very much and didn't have a lot to say to her, but I was cordial. She also told someone that I wasn't a "team player" as if we were all trying to score a goal for piercing or something. The reason she said I wasn't a team player is because the numerous times she would try to call in or call me to cover her shift I wouldn't do it. I worked all my shifts it seems to me that she wasn't the "team player". She once called me because she lived far away and there was a huge storm and her electricity was out and she wasn't going to make it to work on time. Meanwhile, she knew good and well that I lived an hour out and I was in the same storm because she lived maybe ten minutes west of my house. I told her I couldn't make it in time either and I am in the same storm, fortunately I am not scheduled to work. Why would I bust my ass to get there?Her shift is her responsibility.

My mom calls me to ask how my day went at my new job. I tell her. She says, "How do you do that? " As if I had something to do with this other than just existing, and getting a job there. She also said that she doesn't expect me to last the rest of the month. That is like two weeks. She has no faith in me. She thinks I will quit.

2 comments:

The Q said...

Lauren, it's not just middle aged women, it's almost ALL women. Have you already forgotten high school and how many people thought that you hated them, or that you were a horrid bitch? I remember far too well. One name - Crystal Allen.

Lauren said...

You are right I mis spoke. I can piss a female off like no other. That is my greatest talent!