Monday, October 16, 2006

Well, great! Just great!

My first day at my new job. Already somebody doesn't like me. Frankly this isn't unusual, but in this case it happens to be the store manager. I have a few ideas why all of which I can't put down cause if she read them for sure I would be fired. So I will just give ya'll a run down on why I think she dislikes me.

First reason: She is really curt and talks to me like a child. This is infuriating if you are a child. You can just imagine how I feel since I am not a child, nor have I been considered one in quite a while.

Second reason: It is my first day, no one told me what to wear. So, I figure I will wear what I would normally wear to my office job. The dress code is business casual we can't wear jeans. Can't go wrong, right? Well, she didn't let me stay at work because of what I was wearing. I happen to be wearing the same thing right now at my office job and no one has told me we are not allowed to wear t-shirts. She, however, told me to not wear t-shirts and she couldn't have me on the floor. I am wearing khaki slacks and a plain color cotton crew neck cut shirt. She acted like it was a dirty band t-shirt with holes in it. She had an employee take me to the back, break room area where I filled out some paper work, tax forms and what not, and watched some excellent videos. I go up to the front to give her my papers and I see another associate standing there that she is talking to. That is funny. He shirt is cut the exact same way as mine, it is cotton also. Huh. The only difference is that hers has some sort of stupid flower pattern on it. I think my mom has that same shirt, she sleeps in it.

Third reason: I have tattoos it is no secret. The manager over framing who interviewed and hired me saw them. He told me nothing about them. They talked about dress code in the videos I had to watch. Not one second was spent on tattoos. When I was handing her my paper work and seething of the fact that someone else has a "t-shirt" on she says, "I realize you have tattoos, but those need to be covered up at least partially. But this is all in the handbook." To which I reply, "Sure, that is no problem." Of course I went home immediately to look in the hand book to see exactly what it does say. Here let me tell you. "Tattoos that could be perceived as offensive or harassing must be covered." I have known a lot of people to get offended at the slightest things, but an octopus?

Why does this happen to me?

No comments: