Friday, May 13, 2011

Here is a fun story

My mom has a lot of memorabilia from my childhood.  I happen upon things now and then.  When I do, I usually tell her, "Hey, don't get rid of [that]".  

In my old room, there was a shelf on the wall.  On the shelf, was a collection of antique perfume bottles.  I collected them when I hung out at my great aunt's antique shop. Some she would give me, some I would pay for.  I loved them.  A fancy container for liquid that smells like flowers.  Weird. The ritual, the femininity, the uniqueness.   Fascinating.  The day after her funeral I told my mom, "You know you can never get rid of these, right?" She said that she knew.  

Two weeks later, I went into my old room and the shelf had fallen off the wall.  You can imagine what happened to the perfume bottles.  The shelf had been up for easy four years.  There was absolutely no reason for that shelf to fall.  They aren't all gone, just the few that were my favorite.  

It would almost be funny if it wasn't so cruel.  

No comments: