Sunday, January 31, 2010

What MP left out ...

We started the partying part of the night at the dog bar. First thing, a little tiny Korean child comes up to me carrying a tiny weenie dog. She hands it off. I say thank you but she can't understand me. I have to admit it was pretty fuckin' cute. Then the owner of that dog, as well as another weenie dog, had this maraca. She was shaking the maraca and the dogs were following her and biting at the maraca, which was making the little girl follow the dogs. It was a line four deep, the caboose was yelling something in Korean. Presumably to the dogs. This was making the owner perpetuating the whole thing laugh hysterically. I, in turn, was laughing hysterically. All before we even got a table.

A while after we got our table, the little girl comes up to me again. (I have one of those faces, I guess.) She crawls into the booth right next to me. Touching me in fact, and holding this dog. The owner of the dog is reasoning with her in Korean. The dad comes up and says he is sorry. For what I don't know, because she was just sitting their quietly in shock and awe of the white people. I think she was looking for us to protect her from the bad people who were going to take this dog away from her. Whatever bartering technique they used worked and she released the dog. She did not want to. I thought at one point she might actually choke the dog. She cried when they had to leave.

Our group has quadrupled in size by this point and we are going to change destinations.

Standing out in the street trying to decide where we are going to go and not getting anywhere, I decide that I have to have more alcohol to deal with this large a group. So I go into the convenient store with MP and our homo friend. As we are checking out here comes the little girl. We were telling her high. She was in shock again.

We go to Diggin'. My second favorite bar in Seoul. Where our group again doubles in size. We have a good time.

Hours later we move to Jane's Groove. They played pop/hip hop/ music. Everyone danced. I mostly sat. Except when Blister in the Sun played. I danced to that. It was fun. 3 o'clock rolls around and everyone is plastered. Except for me and MP. We get a cab really quickly. He tells the rest.

But what he leaves out is this. The "chatty Korean", as he puts it, was not only chatting. He was guilting us and telling us to quit and leave, that what we were doing was bad. I'm assuming here a little, he was speaking Korean. He was saying "No!", "Bad" things of this nature, and making hand gestures. It was ulcer inducing. I really wanted him to shut up. But he didn't. What I'm sure was seconds felt like hours of this guy saying the same thing, like a fucking broken record. Dominican Lou finally says, "Do you speak English?" the Korean says, with no accent whatsoever, "Yeah". Lou tells him the situation, keys in the locker, and the guy goes right back into his Korean saying the exact same thing as before. They come running with the stuff. We leave the subway, hop into a cab and away we went.

All in all a fun night. Great memory. This is right up there with zoo explosion on the list of things I will never forget about my tour in Korea.

No comments: