Monday, January 25, 2010

Weekend Adventures

So our new friend in Seoul asked us to go to this photography exhibit. Little did we know that she found it on a meet up website. There were a slew of white people. Now, I made a resolution to make new friends, so I decided to get some practice seeing as I won't be keeping my Seoul friends in any real way beyond facebook.

I tried really hard. I remembered names as much as possible. I did pretty good. I kept a smiling face through all adversity. There was plenty.

MP starts spouting to one girl about how he doesn't like it. That is where everything went down hill. She was looking like she was going to cry. I could hear tidbits of what was going on, and just that was kinda creeping me out. When we later asked our friend how old that girl was the reply was 27. Really? She said BFF. Is it just me? Who says that? Not in jest either. She says she liked it here, but was on the verge of tears. To me that is code for I hate it, but I don't want to say so.

The thing with people I find that I just can't deal with is how uptight the masses are. Teachers of little kids in particular. Suicide in a piece of art makes people make a noise of objection and walk away. Joking about sex or even anything remotely sexual is a no-no. Pubic hair, forget about it.

One girl told us that she had to be back to her apartment by 6:30. She only had one key. Her boyfriend wanted to leave at 6:30 and if she wasn't there he would leave and take the key and wasn't coming back until 10. She really didn't have anything to do so she didn't want to be locked out. It's 27 fucking degrees outside by 10pm it would be closer to 19. Who could possibly do that to someone, not to mention stay with someone who even says that, little less do it. Between two adults that is the best they could come up with? I told her they should leave the key with the attendant, every apartment has an attendant. The mailboxes are open. How about dropping it in there? Maybe it was an excuse to leave. I doubt it. She could have just left by saying, "Okay, it was fun. I'm leaving. Bye."

People amazing me. It's hard not to be judgmental. The problem is that I know I could never be myself with any of those people. Why bother? Our original friend is really sweet and though she is very normal, she seems to take what I say in stride.

No comments: