Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Cranes

Kyle, Kyle's Aunt, and I all went on a whooping crane tour. We spent three hours on a boat looking at all kinds of birds. We saw brown and white pelicans, two kinds of cormorants, all manner of gulls, some other kind of crane I don't remember it's name, Mexican eagle (it has a real name I don't know it), vultures, all kinds of ducks, spoon bills (though I'm a giant asshole and didn't get a single picture of a spoonbill), and more.

Those tiny white specks are whooping cranes
Whooping Cranes

I think the guide said there were only 500 left in the entire world. We saw at least 15.

That is a brown pelican. They were seriously endangered because of DDT. The population dropped to 50.
Brown Pelican & Cormorant

This is the edge of the man made bird sanctuary area.


Shrimp Boats
Shrimping Boats


Two Story Whataburger
Whataburger by the Bay


Eat your hamburger and enjoy the view of the ocean
View from the second story


Last Stop! We had to take a picture of the Ghost Buster's Car.
Who ya gonna call?

3 comments:

madge said...

You made it to Whataburger! Where is Lauren?

Your pictures are lovely. It reminds me of the Gulf Coast. Har har har.

The Q said...

I am so glad you got a photo of that car!! I mean to the last time I was at the cost and missed it completely n the way back. Plus, I love that Whataburger. Nothing like eating Texas' Fast Food while looking out over the bay... MAN I wish I were at the cost instead of at work. Maybe I'll run away.

Let's hang out on Sunday, call me.

Lauren said...

I'm by the whataburger on flickr.