Friday, July 06, 2007

I'm done

I am done with my first summer semester at UT. I have five weeks until school starts again and a huge stack of books to get through.

1. The Blind Assassin Margart Atwood
2. Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norell Susanna Clarke
3. Flannery O'Connor The Complete Stories
4. Until I Find You John Irving
5. The Robber Bride Margaret Atwood

(That doesn't look like much, but a lot of them are quite large.)

I am trying to read more women authors. All my favorite authors are men. I feel wrong for that. Any suggestions?

6 comments:

madge said...

This is a good list...

I love Dorothy Allison (Bastard Out of Carolina) so, so much.

Have you read the Bell Jar?

Congrats on your first summer semester finale! Yippeeeee. I am so happy for you. Read read read read read read read.

Drew said...

Atwood is a good start.

Suggestions:
"The God of Small Things" - Arundhati Roy

Anything by the Bronte sisters.

Ralph's Party by Lisa Jewell is a good one just for fun too.

Lauren said...

I forgot to put Rick Moody "The Black Veil" on the list.

I haven't read the Bell Jar but I have a copy.

If I read "The God of Small Things" I would be on a Booker Prize winning theme. "The Blind Assassin" also won the Booker Prize.

I don't know about the Bronte sisters for a summer read. May be a little too tedious for vacation. I could be wrong.

Spinning Girl said...

I strongly urge you to read Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver.

I heard mixed reviews about Until I Find You. Let me know what you think. You have of course read Owen Meany?

Lauren said...

I have read most of Owen Meany, but I haven't finished. It was dragging. I love, love, love The World According to Garp!

I've never read Kingsolver. Isn't she the Poisonwood Bible? Prodigal Summer is better?

Anonymous said...

If you like Atwood (personal favorite - Cat's Eye), try Jeanette Winterson: Sexing the Cherry, The Passion, Oranges Aren't the Only Fruit . . .