Monday, July 16, 2007

Gift Solutions

Friday I drove Kyle's grandmother (his dad's mom) to go shopping. She is too scared to drive in Austin. She didn't want Kyle to take her because he is a boy and everyone knows boys don't like to shop. So I was the lucky girl. Never mind the fact that she has two female granddaughters. One of which is Kyle's sister. So I take Meemaw to this store. Then we go have lunch.

While at lunch I manage to make her cry. That's right. I made her cry. She was telling me stories about Kyle's grandfather. Not her husband, but Kyle's mom's dad, I didn't think it was a problem if I asked how he died. It was at least ten years ago. She started to cry. I felt like a huge asshole. I can't even tell you.

So long story short, I get home Kyle asks if we took my car. We did so I say yes. Then he asks if Meemaw gave me any money for gas. Nope. Kyle says, "That Meemaw." Just the day before Kyle had received a $400 check for doing about 2 hours worth of yard work for Meemaw. There is no rhyme or reason for these things. She said, "I help your cousin all the time, and she is so hateful!" Kyle's other cousin is going to medical school so she really does need help and Meemaw calls her fat and monitors what she eats. That would make anyone hateful.

The next day she calls Kyle at work. On Sundays he makes her a pizza and brings it to her after he gets off work. And she had made a blueberry pie for me.

Blueberry Pie! It is so good. Moral of the story: Make old women cry then they bake you pies?

1 comment:

madge said...

"That Meemaw."