Monday, January 01, 2007

'07 is heaven

Yesterday, I spent my eighth consecutive New Year's Eve with Kyle. I had visions of '99-'00 New Year and thought, "Huh, who would have guessed?" Today eight years ago Kyle told me that he loved me for the first time. Ahhhh! I still remember. It is pretty easy to remember. Plus we had been together for 3 months exactly. Now we have probably told each other that we love each other about 3 billion times, give or take a billion. When I think about our relationship I think about how lucky I am. Some of my best memories are laughing with Kyle, nothing more. Laying in bed laughing, cleaning the house laughing, driving laughing, laughing until I have cried on to many occasions to count. For the better part of eight years I feel like all I have really accomplished is laughing more than anyone in the world.

In the whole time me and Kyle have been together he has scared me a handful of times. Not just a walk up behind you when you weren't expecting it kinda scare. The kind of scare that sucks all the wind from you, the kind of scare where you should scream, but there is no air to scream with. The first time we had probably been together 2 maybe three years. He wasn't supposed to be home. I got in the shower and I had heard something. I wasn't quite sure what it was so I said something, "Kyle" who knows. But Grubb didn't make any noise. It can't be that bad right? He barks when paper ruffles cause the fan is on. And right as I am thinking it can't be that bad. Boom, he opens the shower curtain. Oh, my god. I had visions of psycho. I just knew someone was going to murder me in the shower like a horror movie. I didn't scream. Those movies are all bullshit. It would be scarier if there was no screaming and someone got murdered quietly cause they were to scared to scream.

The next time was a couple years ago. We were at Carrabba's. It is an Italian food place that is so good. This particular time it was very quite there. We were laughing about something. It was something off color as usual. Something like someone being mean to their wife. I think I have blocked it. So we try to stifle our laughs as the waiter comes over. When the guy leaves Kyle says in this mock yell (the kind of yell type voice parents use when they don't want the whole word to hear them chastise there kid, it is very harsh and threatening but no necessarily loud), "Don't you even talk to the waiter." or "Don't you ever order for yourself." I don't know I blocked it for sure. I thought I would jump out of my seat. Something about his voice and the fact that maybe I had never heard it before? My heart stopped. He was kidding of course and we still laugh about this today. But it scared the shit out of me.

This last time was a couple of weeks ago. My mom went out of town. Kyle left for work. I left for her house to feed her dogs and give them water. She was going to be back the next day. I heard a knock on the door. The dogs were barking and everything. Tammy had this real pine thing on her door it wasn't a wreath. It was like a cluster of pine branches and they were tied in the middle with ribbon, think fleur de lie. Anyways, I couldn't look out the peep hole. I opened the door and crack and looked out. As soon as I could see this body came rushing towards the door with one big step. I froze I was so scared. My mind wasn't even processing what was going on. I almost slammed the door and locked it, but then I realized it was Kyle. He delivers pizza in my mom's neighborhood and he had delivered down the street and he was coming to see me and be sweet (and he bum rushed the door thinking I was only opening it a little to not let the dogs out), instead I peed myself. Not really, but if there was ever a time when I was going to lose control of my platter that would have been it. I am pretty secure in the fact that you can't scare the shit out of someone, literally.

Happy New Year

2 comments:

madge said...

May you continue to laugh!

Happy New Year Lauren!

Mark Brown said...

Wow...

Congrats on finding the love of your life so early (you do say in your profile 23, and 23 less 8 years means you found each other at 15...Neat

I met my beloved at 18, and we've been together for almost 30 years now.

It's really neat marrying your best friend...
see this poem on my dearest!
http://my-poem-a-day.blogspot.com/2007/01/tuesday-january-9th-2007-away-from.html

Also, come by and leave a comment in my automated poetry machine at
http://automatic-poem-machine.blogspot.com