Tuesday, June 20, 2006

The Best Father's Day Present I've Ever Had

Granted I have never gotten a Father's Day present, nor am I a man so I wasn't really planning on getting any in the future. Needless to say it came as kind of a shock, especially because my dad gave me the present. I have two older brothers and when everyone was at my dad's house he gave us all envelopes with our names on them. So we all sit down on the couch together and read our two page letter. The letter consisted of a paragraph about each of us and how we were unique and what made us better than him. The mere idea that we were better than him in only one aspect of our lives made him successful. He continued to talk about his fondest memories of each of us and that we turned out great even though he fucked up (not his exact phrasing) a lot and that his life was a mess when we were growing up. I am here to tell you I cried like a baby. Then everyone went outside but me, my dad and my oldest brother. My dad told me that he loved me and he hugged me and my brother came up and we had a group hug going on and my dad was crying and I was still crying of course and I think my brother shed a tear or two ( he is such a hard ass) and my dad told us that he loved us more than anything. It was a definite moment. After that I told my dad that that was the best Father's Day present I ever got, probably the best one I am ever going to get, and he told me you never know. Later, when everyone was leaving the middle son and his wife were telling their three kids to tell everyone bye and to tell there grandfather happy Father's Day and their 5 year old came running up to me and said, "Happy Father's Day!" and we had a big laugh.

2 comments:

The Q said...

Your father found God and humbleness - All at once.

Lauren said...

I think he stumbled on his twelfth step really