Friday, February 18, 2011

It doesn't show signs of stopping

Today they remove life support from great aunt.  She got pneumonia and went into the hospital the day of my grandfather's funeral.  I found out this tidbit from my cousin's facebook post.  I have no idea how she is doing.  I don't want to go to the hospital, because I saw her last on the last day I saw my grandfather.  She was telling me stories about when she was a kid, and her grandson, and her granddogs, and laughing,  and smiling, and going to stay with my aunt so that she could help her force my grandfather into taking his pain pills and eating.  I want that to be the way I remember her.  My dad and I lived with his aunt and uncle when I was growing up.  I was eleven.  During the summer she would take me to her antique shop in a little town. I ran around like it was the fifties.  I would take some change to the gas station and buy candy.  Walk across town to the burger joint.  It was a lot of fun.  I wish I could go back there.  I went to her fiftieth anniversary this summer.

Kyle told me this week that his dad's lymphoma is back.

I'm having a hard time coping.

No comments: