Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Down at the Pawn Shop....

...An elementary school music teacher came in looking for violins. I showed her one, the price was over 100 dollars. She said that she couldn't take that to the elementary school because they "go wild". So I asked her if she was a music teacher as I showed her a clarinet. She said yes, that she taught at such-and-such school. I thought- Oh, THE EAST Side. They HAVE a music teacher (imagine the inflection going way up in my mind-voice, especially on the "oh" and the "have".) Then she proceeded to tell me that she wanted to build up her collection of instruments because when she talks about instruments in class most of her kids have never actually seen most of them. Turns out there is no response for something so atrocious. All I could do was keep my work face on and nod a little. Then I quickly changed the subject to alternative teaching programs. It helped. I felt a lot better at the end of the conversation.

No comments: