Sunday, November 01, 2009

Culture Shock

So I haven't really expressed just how strange things are here. Besides the fact that people body check you on a daily basis anytime you leave the house (without saying excuse me), they also spit. Not just any spit either. I'm talking giant hacking noises. The women too. When I'm in the apartment with the window open I can hear hacking from the street. We are on the 5th floor. Gross. We saw one guy in the subway spit on the escalator. I mean, spitting inside?! Does it get any grosser? A lot of the people on the streets wear masks, and there are hand washing signs everywhere. Well, people wear masks because nobody covers their mouth when they sneeze or cough. No kidding. I haven't seen a person do it yet and I'm working on a month here. I see people leave the subway bathrooms all the time without washing their hands. No wonder why they need all the signs. A reminder. I always wonder why people just wet their hands without using soap, as if they actually did something. I see a lot of that too. I'm a little freaked out by there lack of concern for transferring bodily fluids. I'm trying to be as culturally sensitive as I can, but I don't want somebody else's snot on me.

No comments: