Thursday, April 09, 2009

They get you coming and going

I got asked for money today, walking to and from class.  The first was a black man who rode up to me on a bicycle.  

Him: Are you from here?
Me: Yeah
Him: Finally, somebody who isn't scared of me. I'm from Baltimore, and I need money to get my work clothes so me and my son can eat. I'm telling the truth...blah,blah, blah.
Me: Sorry, man, I don't have any cash on me... Have a good day.
Him: I doubt it.
Me: Good luck.
Him: [he has turned away at this point] I don't believe you. [real mean like]
Me: [I shrug and think, "That makes two of us"]

He didn't even take his sunglasses off. How could I believe a person telling me his sob story without seeing his eyes?  

The second looked like he was in his twenties, he was fairly clean, and looked like he had eaten that day and he asked me for some change.  He asked while he stood behind me.  I didn't know he was talking to me at first and I had to ask him what he said.  It was weird.  

  

No comments: