Tuesday, April 14, 2009

I sold almost all of my books yesterday

I'm about 300 pounds lighter and 200 dollars richer.  

I had to sit in Half Priced Books for about 2 hours while they prepared the estimate.  I walked by a shelf and Rilke caught my eye.  I opened it up and found this. 

[I live my life in widening rings]
I live my life in widening rings
which spread over earth and sky.
I may not ever complete the last one,
but that is what I will try.

I circle around God's primordial tower,
and I circle ten thousand years long;
And I still don't know if I'm a falcon,
a storm, or an unfinished song. 

Then I sat next to a man talking on the phone.  I heard him tell a story about seeing a man hit a kid with his car.  They watched as he got out and picked the kid up,  take the kid to the curb lay him down, and then get back in his car and leave.  They got his driver's license and he was caught.  My god.  There is some fucked up shit in the world.  He didn't say what happened to the kid.  The person on the other end of the phone (a woman, I could hear her voice sometimes) has an ELEVEN year old daughter who is sexually active.  fuck.  

No comments: