Sunday, December 21, 2008

I'm having an affair

My affair with Jorge Borges is fleeting, but we have met many times in the past 6 months. I had never heard of Borges before the last week of the first summer session. My Spanish professor brought in a story to show us one sentence. He wanted to prove that a certain grammar rule was actually used. He explains the story. It kind of blew my mind. Then he shows the sentence. Since then almost every single class I have had a professor mentions Borges. The first week of the next summer session, which happened to be the very next week after the first incident, both of my English professors mentioned Borges. That really blew my mind. In one of my classes we talked about him quite a bit. By this time I start to think I need to read this Borges character. First day of Fall semester my poetry professor has a handout with a Borges quote on it. Last day of Fall semester my Walt Whitman professor has a quote from Borges on it. The first page of the book Corley gave me for graduation has a Borges quote. If I combine all the quotes I've read it might equal a short story by now. I'm starting to feel like this is a big conspiracy. I must read Borges. Everyone around me is inundating me with Jorge Borges.

Another thing, when we were in Peru I saw some olive oil in a market, the brand was ... you guessed it Borges.

No comments: