Wednesday, July 25, 2007

"Until I Find You"

Two things:

1- I finished "Until I Find You". I think a lot about it. I will tell you all about my thoughts shortly.

2-Thursday I will be leaving in the middle of the night for vacation. Me and Kyle, his parents, and the bride and groom will all be driving in one car to Dallas. Our plane leaves Dallas at 6 in the morning or something. Boo-hiss!

Okay, on to the review of "Until I Find You". Let me preface by saying I love John Irving. He can really do no wrong in my eyes. I'm not saying that it was the best book I have ever read, but with Irving there are always elements worth reading.

It reminded me a lot of "The World According to Garp". It could have just as easily been called "The World According to Jack Burns". It starts with the parents and the absent father then we follow Jack into adulthood. Arguably, not as heart wrenching as Garp. But I think that is because the ending didn't have as much resolution.

Some of the plot line or even certain sentences were a little forced. The characters make up for what the book lacks in anything else. Irving knows how to write a character. Plain and simple. He writes these characters that are damaged and flawed and painful and I love them. The more fucked up the character the more I love them.

Over all it was good and I'm happy I read it.

1 comment:

Mark Brown said...

Did you ever see Robin Williams in the movie as "Garp"?

It was almost as perfect as the book, except the scene with the tide wasn't as good as in the book

Cheers