Friday, February 02, 2007

I heart Fannie Flagg

I can't help it. I just read "Welcome to the World, Baby Girl!". Loved it. There is just something about her books/ movies that make you feel warm inside. Even if it is a little cheesy it is still good. I think I may have to read "Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe". I have see Fried Green Tomatoes one thousand and one times. I usually don't like to read a book after I watch the movie. Well, it isn't that I don't "like" to, it is more that I can't. I just can't stay focused and entertained. I am like a four year old for some reason. When I know what happens it just doesn't do it for me. But it is a double edge sword after you read the book then watch the movie the movie is always lame in comparison. An otherwise perfectly good movie is ruined.

While I am on the topic, "Fluke Or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings" is excellent. I finished this weeks ago. It is great. It was still sitting by my bed and every time I passed by I would think about it. I finally just put it away on it's shelf. I love Christopher Moore. I love his books too. But that isn't the real reason I love him. The real reason is this.

I asked him to draw me a doodle. He did. He giggled. It was funny. A little back story on the doodle: I went to a David Sedaris book signing at Book People. It was incredibly crowded and the whole thing took about 5 hours of waiting. When I finally got up there he drew this little jack-o-lantern in my book with his signature. When I went to Christopher Moore's book signing I thought, "Wouldn't it be way neat-o if every book I got signed by an author had a doodle too!"

If you go to the Book People website you have to check out the Leslie's What to Wear Refrigerator Magnet Set. Leslie is an Austin famous transvestite. It gives some back story. You should check it out.

2 comments:

The Q said...

I really was SO CLOSE to buying those magnets the last time I was there.

madge said...

I love the doodle! Fannie Flagg is so feel-good. You must read Fried.