Saturday, November 25, 2006

Million Dollar Baby

I love Clint Eastwood. I think he was incredibly attractive as a young man. He is a good actor. He has a voice that is so moving. And he is a great director. I watched Million Dollar Baby for the first time on the back of the airplane seat in front of me on my flight home from London. I cried and cried and cried and I didn't even hear half the dialog. I have seen it since I believe. I think it was with my mom. I accidentally started watching it again tonight, because I didn't change the channel fast enough. I couldn't change it. That was a mistake. It is a great movie. It is really, really moving. The characters are so deep, so three dimensional. But the problem with the movie is I know what happens. It is like a John Irving novel in that you see what is coming. In every single scene they are cramming down your throat. You don't know when. You may not know exactly how it will come. But you can feel it in the pit of your stomach. Something bad is going to happen, real bad. So at about fifteen minutes in I am bawling. This isn't my normal "movie cry" where the only way you can tell I am crying is that there is water on my face. The kind of cry that you just can't hold back, because it is only moisture from your eyes. No, this was a full out bawl. The neighbors could tell I was crying. I don't want to give anything away for those of you who haven't seen it. But I just want to say if you have seen it once, see it again. Even if you didn't like the movie. Seeing it again will show you the incredible foreshadowing. The depth of the movie really amazes me. It is really like a good book.

No comments: