Sunday, November 19, 2006

Horray for Goodwill!!!!

Me and Kyle went to Goodwill to piddle around and waist some time on our day off. He likes to shop for video games. I like to shop. We look through the auctions and there is some really cool stuff. He bids on a Dreamcast. I bid on a "Vintage Home" which included an old desk fan, some of those beaters that you have to crank, an old iron with the cord that looks like a bungee, and a tea pot. The highest bid was $30 I threw caution to the wind and bid $35, thinking that the bid would last a little while at least cause I may not be back on Saturday. I didn't have to work on Saturday so Kyle asked if I would go to Goodwill to check on his auction, and if it wasn't at $20 that was what he was willing to pay. So I go, Goodwill is packed with an exorbitant amount of old people. Old people are incredibly hard to navigate through in a small space. It was really bothering me. I hate people really close to me and I couldn't get away. Finally I see the book and Kyle's bid is long gone the Dreamcast is up to $30. So I leave the store and call him. He says thanks anyway and asks if I am going to stay for my bids. I wasn't sure, but I went back in the store and looked at there collection of Reader's Digest condensed books while I waited for the auction book to become free (note to Corley: they have a lot and they are 3.99 a piece in good condition!). I looked at the book and was totally disappointed. Someone after me had bid $100 on the "vintage home". I was like what an idiot that guy was. It isn't like eBay. Whatever you write down you have to pay. You don't write down what you are willing to pay. You certainly don't jump the bid up $65 just like that! I left really traumatized. I was thinking I am not going to participate if people don't even know how it works, the retards.

Fast Forward through staying out late, and waking up early.

I am toying with the idea of going back to bed and the phone rings. I get there just in time to see the number. It is no one I know. Too late to pick it up. Oh, well. Then they call back. I pick it up. Me: (cautiously) Hello?
Stranger: HI! Is Lauren there?
Me: (tired) This is her.
Stranger: I just wanted to let you know that you won bid 14 from the Goodwill auction the "Vintage Home".
Me: (astonished) Really? Well, great. Thank you.

All is well that ends well! Can't wait to post pictures! I jumped the gun a little bit. Can't wait to go pick it up.

4 comments:

madge said...

Goodwill auctions?! Vintage home?

I am dying to see pictures.

Lauren said...

Do your Goodwills not have auctions? They keep all the pricer things in a case and you bid on them.

madge said...

No! They do not have auctions...

Lauren said...

I think all the Goodwills in Austin and surrounding areas do. You have an option to write down your bid in a book. Then on Saturday they auction the things off. So if you are there you can call out your bid. It is pretty cool.

P.S. by "pricier" items I mean like $15 to $20 minimum bid.